Outside Reading: Cozy Recommendations

This drawing is a collection of various cover art pieces from the books listed below; art by Hannah Hoskins.

The Wild Grain hopes you all have had a safe and restful winter break. Today, we bring you three cozy book recommendations from three Rice undergrads!

1. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

One of my favorite comfort books is The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien, the first book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. When read outside, lying in a hammock, swaying back and forth in the breeze, you can really feel the connection to nature that the book paints in its opening act. The depiction of Frodo and his hobbit friends marching forth to Rivendell is made so beautiful by Tolkien’s artful descriptions of the hills,  valleys, and forests that make up the Shire and Middle Earth. The world of the Middle Earth, or at least the parts without any orcs in it, is one that pulls you in and shows you the beauty of nature and the relaxation that can be found in its gentlest parts. Come for the beautiful landscapes, stay for the epic fantasy adventure that unfolds in and from those vistas. 

— Spencer Powers

2. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

There’s beauty to chaos. Sometimes, there’s even comfort. As a kid, my room was always a controlled clutter where my belongings were strewn across the hardwood like decorations: A Hot Wheels car here, Spider-Man action figure there, and even a couple of my sister’s Littlest Pet Shop figures. To this day, my desk is never too clean, and always has a copy of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson atop it. I’ve never been the biggest fantasy fan, but this book subverts the “hero” trope to create a world that you truly get lost in. An abused street urchin named Vin discovers her innate magic, and, by the end of the book, the plot really gets you debating your own morality. Sure, it’s not as poetically beautiful as something written by Virginia Woolf, nor is it a fantasy epic like Game of Thrones, but, if you ever want to get lost worrying about a world that isn’t yours for an evening or two, Mistborn is excellent for that. Bonus points if you read it in a messy room.

— Ray Karki

3. Remarried Empress by Alphatart

On a cozy day, one of my guilty pleasures is reading Remarried Empress by Alphatart. It’s both a Webtoon and a novel (translated from Korean), and I’ve read both versions. The story follows Navier, the empress of the Eastern Empire, whose husband brings back a girl as his concubine and removes Navier from the throne. But no worries — because Heinrey, the emperor of the Western Empire, wants Navier as his empress! It’s not all romance, and there’s also magic in the story (Heinrey can take on a bird form; I know, crazy). I love seeing Navier’s ex-husband suffer after she leaves him (because of course, she is a queen, and his concubine can’t carry out her duties nearly as well). My favorite atmosphere to read this book in is on a cold night when I’m snuggled up in bed with my blankets, some cookies, and hot tea (and no work!). Doesn’t that just sound wonderful? 

— Shani Chiang

We hope that as the new semester begins and the weather remains more or less chilly, you’ll be able to take some time to curl up with a good book in your favorite place to read!