From Hannah’s Desk: Classes to Consider ft. Dr. Johnson

Hello, fellow English-interested! My name is Hannah Hoskins and I’m a Literature and Literary History Specialization major here within the English Department. On the side, I’m a mini-professor and teach COLL 170, “Memes and Internet History”.

I want to recommend two classes from one of my favorite professors in the English department.

The first class, ENGL 262, “Whodunit? & Other Mysteries”, explores the genre of crime and puzzle literature, with a particularly keen eye toward the conventions and circumstances of these literatures. As we saw in a previous issue, Dr. Johnson said that she has a particular fondness for Nancy Drew growing up, so you know that the topic will be handled with the attention and care that a true mystery class deserves. If you’re up to putting your analytical skills to the test in solving not only the crime but the deeper themes that surround it, consider this class for sure!

The second class, ENGL 100, is a class that I’ve personally kept my eye on for a while, and it’s good to see it on rotation again! If you have a friend that needs taking a D1, ENGL 100 is a great course to take with them! Alternatively, if you want to dip your toes into the metaphorical English pond, this is a good way to start, as this course will introduce you to a good chunk of the important authors, themes, and analytical tools that you will need.

Lastly, I would like to personally say that Dr. Johnson’s classes are some of the best I’ve ever taken. Consistently my semester-end-essay is the best essay I’ve written all semester, and I feel like by taking her classes I’ve blossomed into a better writer and thinker. Dr. Johnson’s classes can be tough, but never unreasonable, and they are so rewarding that it’s hard for me to not say that it’s super worth it.

If you would like to reach out to Dr. Johnson with further questions, her email is amanda.l.johnson@rice.edu

That’s it from me! I hope you are and remain curious, happy & healthy, and adventuresome!